Let’s get a few things straight. Motherhood is exhausting in its many forms and waking up any earlier than the tiny humans do is, well, less than appealing. There are a million and one reasons why I go by the drowsy mama and of course my constant exhaustion is one of them. Now that those disclaimers have been made…. Waking up hella early is the best thing that’s happened to me this year.
Last year when I lost my job, I decided to go full speed ahead on my digital marketing business. I was inspired and motivated to get stuff done! I’m naturally a night owl, so I started off working really late at night. After seeing some Gary Vee video about waking up early to rise and grind, I decided to flip my schedule and discipline myself into early wake ups instead of late nights. Time passed, and I fell out of habit. So the closest thing I made to a New Year’s resolution for 2017 was to get back in the 5:00 am habit. I couldn’t help but notice that this time, the transition was WAY easier, as if my body had muscle memory of getting up before dawn. This morning, I even beat my alarm clock!
I’ve been bragging on Facebook about the little perks that I’ve been seeing out of getting up two hours early and wanted to share my top five reasons to wake up before 5:00 am. If reading is not quite your jam, check out the Facebook Live I did to discuss this.
- Start your day with a small win. I say “small” win but this is actually huge! If you’re like me and maybe kind of in a funk this time of year… this time of life… whatever… getting up before you HAVE to is a metaphorical Gold Star for you. It feels incredible to tell yourself, “I’m going to get up early tomorrow” then actually follow through on it. The tone for the day has been set with an underlying “I decided to do something, then I did it.” Just imagine what you could accomplish if everything was as simple as deciding to do something and doing it. Power of positivity right here.
- Some days, you can catch the sunrise. Maybe this is just my crunchy granola side showing but there’s something magical about having the sun wake up and see you instead of the other way around. As if the sun beams slowly creeping over the tops of the houses on my block are delighted by my presence. It’s like meeting a friend for coffee and their face when they see that you’re already there and got a table. Not to mention, sunrise is beautiful. If you take a few moments to go outside or open the blinds on an east-facing window, you can see the magic first hand.
- Coffee before kids. Assuming you have little ones and those little ones don’t get up at 5:00 am, you now have the opportunity to caffeinate before the kids get out of bed. I have a great little coffee pot that I can schedule to brew so I get the added pleasure of waking up to the fragrance of fresh, hot coffee. There’s no one demanding anything from me, I finish my first cup without it going cold, and I feel energized and ready to face the day before the tiny humans are bringing their first set of demands to my feet. This tends to segue very nicely into my next point–
- You can have a morning poop in peace! Nothing like a good cuppa Joe to get everything moving in the morning. Now that my kids are older, there’s less banging on the door screaming for mommy and a lot more “oh, mom’s not in here, let’s pick a fight with each other for no reason other than it’s Wednesday.” I know that at least once a day, I get to have a nice, long (or short, whatever) sit without worrying that my kids have created a verbal Guillotine for each other when I’m just trying to take a dump in peace.
- Get bonus hours to dedicate to your passion project. Now here is the single most important one, to me anyway. With the way my kids’ school schedule is set up, I only get about 4.5 hours during the day that the kids are in someone else’s care. This severely limits my ability to get a lot of work done. Okay, so I can’t go early morning Uber while the babies sleep but I can get 100% caught up on emails, knock out some graphic design, curate some content, schedule some posts, update some websites… you get the idea. I have 2 hours of time, if I plan correctly, to work on growing my small business while the world is still sleeping. I don’t bother with getting dressed or doing my makeup at this time. Nope. I can do that while the kids are getting ready. I can’t be productive on work while I’m trying to wrangle the kids for their school day. By working in my robe with a cup of coffee, I’m maximizing my available work hours by nearly 50% without increasing any of my childcare costs.
Five Reasons to Wake Up at 5:00 am (or Earlier!)
Posted by The Drowsy Mama on Thursday, January 5, 2017